Summer is a time when a lot of people venture outdoors to enjoy the fresh air and warmer weather. However, possible skin damage from the sun's harmful rays is an unfortunate reality that goes along with spending time outside during the summer months.
Most of the causes of skin damage are directly related to repeated sun exposure and exposure to UV lights from tanning beds. Many people believe a golden tan makes them look healthy and radiant - when in actuality, tanning of the skin accelerates the effects of aging and increases your risk for developing skin cancer.
With regular sun exposure, the sun's ultraviolet rays break down the fibers in our skin - elastin and collagen. When these fibers become damaged, the skin will begin to sag and lose its elasticity.
Some of the effects of skin damage are:
- Hyper Pigmentation
- Age Spots
- Skin Cancer
Preventative measures that can be taken to avoid sun damage are:
• Stay out of the direct sun as much as possible. No amount of sunscreen is as effective as completely shielding your skin from ultraviolet rays. Stay in the shade or wear a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses that have total UV protection.
• Wear sunscreen every time you are outside. Apply sunscreen to your face that has an SPF of 30 or higher during peak sunlight hours (10am - 2pm) to protect your skin from UVB rays and zinc oxide to protect from UVA rays.
• Check with your esthetician once a month. This is very important to do as they will be able to notice any unusual changes with your skin and keep you safe.
If your skin has already sustained sun damage, we offer solutions to address it:
• Schedule an appointment at the medi spa. We can suggest various professional laser treatments and topical solutions that can improve everything from blotchiness and discoloration to wrinkles and leathery skin.
• Do you have uneven skin tone or hyperpigmentation? We can recommend peels and lightening treatments to repair the damage.
• Seeing wrinkles and/or fine lines? This concern can be addressed with light therapy. There are several treatments to promote collagen production, reduce fine lines and wrinkles as well as clearing acne.
There are many types of skin treatments available that prevent and reverse sun damage. However, taking preventative measures to protect your skin is the best way to keep your skin healthy and looking great!
Have questions or concerns? We invite you to stop in or call for a consultation. We will customize a program that’s right for you!